Steps You Can Take To Protect Your Financial Information and Personal Identity From Fraud
Financial fraud and identity fraud are one of the fasted growing forms of fraud. The first line of defense to protecting yourself begins with you. Here are some steps you can take to help you protect and fight against financial and identity fraud.
1. Review and Protect Your Information - The first line of defense in financial fraud is to periodically check your credit report to ensure all your information is accurate. Remember there are three credit agencies (Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) which all operate independently. Make sure you check your credit report from all three because they may each have different information.
2. Destroy Credit Card Mail Offers and Old Financial Documents - If you receive direct or pre-approved solicitations in the mail for new credit cards and do not use them make sure you shred or tear them up before throwing them away. In addition, shred all financial papers including cancelled checks, old bank account statements, or any document with your identity.
3. Watch Out For E-mail or Telephone Fraudsters - Never give your personal or financial information out on the internet or phone unless you initiated the contact. This is especially true with giving out your social security or credit card number. Watch out for e-mails from fraudsters that state they need your account information or credit card number to update your account with your bank or an online company like e-bay. Never give out personal information over e-mail! Many times these e-mails will have links for you to click on that take you to a website that looks authentic. However more times than not, it is a scam to get your personal and financial information.
4. Social Security Number - Keep your social security number in a safe place with other financial documents. DO NOT carry your social security card in your wallet and remember to shred your old social security statements. It is also recommended to not store your social security number on your computer as hackers may have access to it. Never print your social security number on your checks, credit card or drivers licenses.
5. Incoming / Outgoing Mail - Pick up incoming mail promptly and do not send outgoing mail in your residential mail box. Make every effort to keep your mail as securely as possible when it leaves your house.
6. Monthly Bills - If your monthly bills stop arriving, take action quickly. Notify the company right away. Also, review your monthly statements promptly and if you see charges or items on your bills that you do not recognize get them resolved immediately.
7. Credit Cards / ATMs - Report lost or stolen credit cards and ATM cards immediately. Be sure to carry the 1-800 numbers of your bank and credit card company in your wallet.
8. Age Matters - If you are over the age of 50 you are more likely to be targeted for financial fraud. Therefore, keep this in the back of your mind as you handle your daily tasks and personal information.
Most analysts forecast financial fraud and identity thief to cause financial loss to hundreds of thousands people in the next five years and beyond. While fraudsters are very slick and you can never be 100% safe the steps above can assist in you significantly deterring yourself and family from being a victim.
Copyright (c) 2004, by Jay Fran This article may be freely distributed as long as the copyright, author's information and the following active live link is published with the article:
Jay Fran is a successful author and publisher at Motorcycle-Financing-Guide.com, a comprehensive resource on bad credit motorcycle loans, motorcycle financing, military motorcycle loans and online motorcycle loans.
This RSS feed URL is deprecated, please update. New URLs can be found in the footers at https://news.google.com/news
Americans hold $1.5 trillion in student debt—here's how to know which repayment plan is best for you - CNBC
The Bank of England is sounding the alarm on a quiet corner of the debt market now worth $1.4 trillion - Business Insider
Why Choose a Secured Loan?
Are you wondering why choose a secured loan? A secured loan is a loan which is provided to you from a bank or building society. Secured loans require you to be able to put an asset up to secure the loan, this is typically your home.
Payday loan: A Complete overview
From different surveys, it is seen that the number of customers taking payday loan as well as payday lending companies are increasing frequently. If you are a person taking the payday loan for the first time or want to gather information regarding payday loan, then this article will be of great help to you.
Benefits of a Home Owner Loan
There are many benefits for choosing a Home Owner Loan, some of which are listed below:If you are a homeowner, you have a better chance of borrowing a homeowner loan and securing the amount against your home .A secured loan is so called because you put up your home as collateral or security for the lender.
When the Bank Says NO!
Factoring has been practiced for centuries. The Romans sold promissory notes at a discount as did the Phoenicians.
Get your Dream Car - Get a Car Loan
You've probably spent years thinking that your dream car is out of your reach. But have you though about a car loan? That car you've always wanted could be just within your grasp!America is a nation of car owners.
Benefits of a Bridging Loan
A bridging loan has many benefits, some of which are listed below.A bridging loan can be used to cover the financial gap when buying one property before the existing one is sold.
Try Unsecured Loans! If The Word Secured Doesn't Fit Your Financial Statement
Big financial goals, no security to supply - it is the perfect circumstances to opt for unsecured loans. Online lending ways have made unsecured loans both accessible and full of innovative options.
Secured Loans Tips
Here are some useful secured loans tips. Secured loans enable most homeowners to borrow capital against the value of their property.
Online Loans: The Easy Way to Apply
The internet is a great place to find the right lender for obtaining a loan. One can apply online by filling out a simple application and submitting it with just a few clicks of the mouse.
Is Getting A Personal Loan With Bad Credit Impossible? Think Again
A bad credit history is like having contracted an infectious disease. At least this is what most lenders perceive.
Secrets & Benefits of Secured Loans
Borrowing money has become more and more popular in the UK over recent years, and this is partly due to the fact that it has become far easier to borrow money. The rising popularity of consumer finance has also been aided by the wide variety of deals and the low interest rates available these days.
Information About Debt Consolidation Loans with Bad Credit
Finding debt consolidation loans with bad credit can be quite a task? after all, a lot of lenders don't want to take a risk on someone who is such an obvious credit risk. Luckily, however, a lot of lenders will take that risk; it's simply a matter of knowing what they're looking for, and how best to approach them for a loan.
PayDay & Cash Advance Loans Online - How Do Online Payday Loans Work?
How online payday loans or cash advance loans work? Online payday loans usually work by first filling out a pre-approval application. 90% of the time, your credit is not pulled.
How to Get a Secured Loan UK
Living in the United Kingdom, you might find yourself in the market for a secured loan UK. Before rushing out to try to find one, however, you might want to do a little bit of research? after all, there's a bit more to it than simply heading down to the bank and getting them to loan you the money.
The term unsecured loan relates to a loan which is not secured on any physical asset or other legal entity.To understand the term unsecured loan we will first look at the opposite, the secured loan:Many loans can be secured on physical items or other assets such as intellectual property rights.
Payday Loans - Bridging The Void Between Paychecks
Emergency - the word is written everywhere in red and considered a danger sign. We all are afraid of what we will do if we encounter this emergency.
Finding the Right Bad Credit Loan UK
If you live in the United Kingdom and find yourself in need of money but lacking in credit, you might want to consider applying for a bad credit loan UK. These loans often are offered in a variety of different ways, from secured loans to unsecured loans, and may be used to cover a variety of expenses.
A Secured Loan Could Save You Money
What is a Secured Loan?A secured loan is any loan that is secured on your home or property. It is any loan which requires you to provide the lender with some form of security other than just a promise to pay.
Business Credit Scoring: Is It a Killer Application or Application Killer?
In his 1968 seminal novel, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Arthur Clark introduced HAL, a spaceship computer with artificial intelligence. Mission engineers designed HAL to carry out an array of technical orders to safeguard the ship's mission.
Industry Regulation and Recent Legislation
A number of states from coast to coast are attempting to impose further regulations on the payday loan industry, but without much success in many cases. Consumers of payday loans have generally argued against more stringent measures and limitations, that would limit their access to payday loans.
|home | site map|
|TIGER MEDIA© 2006|